It was great meeting you recently when Johnson County Democrats were out knocking on our neighbors’ doors to support Beto for Senate, Julie Oliver for Congress, and all of our great statewide candidates including Kim Olson, Mike Collier, and Justin Nelson.
Of course we’re disappointed that we didn’t sweep each of these outstanding people into office, but nevertheless we made real progress. We shifted Johnson County toward the blue! Look at this map from the Austin American-Statesman:
Johnson County election results:
• Julie Oliver, 11,400 votes (significantly surpassing our goal of 9,000)
• Beto, 12,395 votes
And while State Representative DeWayne Burns (R, running unopposed) received 43,169 votes, Ted Cruz got only 39,541, indicating that some 3,600 JoCo Republicans didn’t vote for Cruz. (Details: Johnson County 2018 General Elections Results, http://www.johnsoncountytx.org/departments/elections-office/election-results)
So what’s next?
The Election of 2020, that’s what! We’re already gearing up to solidify and expand our gains in Johnson County. We invite YOU to be part of it all. Please join us at any of our regular meetups. And bring your like-minded (or at least open-minded) family and friends.
- Taco Tuesday, 11:30 AM every Tuesday @ Fuzzy's Taco Shop, 125 E Renfro, Burleson 76028
- Johnson County Democratic Party potluck social, second Tuesday of every month, 6:30 PM @ JN Long Cultural Arts Complex, 425 Granbury St., Cleburne 76033
- Texas Democratic Women of Johnson County (TDWJC) monthly meeting, third Saturday of every month at 3 PM in Burleson @ location to be announced (we might move from Spring Creek BBQ to Antonio’s Mexican Restaurant)—please check our website for latest info: http://johnsoncounty.tdw.org/events/. All are welcome.
- Drinking Liberally, fourth Friday of each month, 6:30 PM @ Villa Dianna Italian Restaurant, 2475 E Renfro St., Burleson 76028
Find more details about these and other events at our various websites, and please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest news:
Johnson County Democratic Party ● democratsjctx.org
Texas Democratic Women of Johnson County (TDWJC) ● johnsoncounty.tdw.org
Isom’s Morning Coffee
Thanks again for taking the time to speak with us when we knocked on your door! Please come meet your friends and neighbors and get involved with the Democrats of Johnson County. We’re here, loud, proud, active, and PROGRESSING in our progressivism!
All best in Blue,
Texas Democratic Women of Johnson County
2018 General Election Highlights:
- Democrats won control of the U.S. House of Representatives. There will be at least 100 women in the House, including two Native American women.
- Texas Democrats unseated Reps. Pete Sessions, R-Dallas, and John Culberson, R-Houston.
- Democrats picked up 12 seats in the Texas House, moving the lopsided 95–55 split to 83–67.
- In the Texas Senate, Democrats beat Republicans Konni Burton and Don Huffines.
- Texas Democrats flipped four major state appeals courts, beating 19 incumbent Republican appellate judges. Democrats are now in the majority on 7 of the state's 14 courts of appeals.
- Nationally, Democrats won seven governorships and flipped six state legislative chambers.